Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm finally here!

I left Lexington (reluctantly, goodbyes are not good for me) at 5:00 PM Eastern time yesterday. My first stop was the Chicago-O'Hare International Airport. I was supposed to have a layover of 4 and a half hours, but because the plane I was supposed to fly on was canceled due to mechanical problems (that's always fun to hear) I got to switch to one with only 3 hour layover instead.

Besides the fact that I was wedged between two gentlemen who didn't understand personal space, the flight to London wasn't too bad. It's been twelve years since I took an international flight and the changes were wonderful. I had my own personal television in the headrest in front of me which had episodes of The Office on one of the channels. How perfect is that? The food was a lot better than I recall too. Unfortunately I am not nearly as skilled at sleeping on planes as I used to (but I am partially attributing that to nerves) and only got about three hours of sleep.

By the time the plane landed I was so nervous I felt like I could have been sick. However, it was all unwarranted and everything went off without a hitch. My passport and visa were fine and the only additional evidence I needed to be let in the country was a letter from UCL that I was glad to have thought ahead to put in my carry-on.

The real fun started at the baggage claim. The luggage trolleys were just a little too small for my SIX pieces of luggage. You should have seen the looks I received as I had four pieces stacked on the cart that I was pushing with one hand, my pillow propped on the handlebars in front of me, a duffel bag across my back, my laptop backpack on, and another piece of rolling luggage trailing behind me in my other hand. I managed to gimp along to customs though, where they didn't even want to go through my things, which I had no problem with, and then made it outside. It was a splendiferous 57 degrees and overcast.

I had originally planned on taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then walking to my hall, but with six pieces of luggage I scrapped that idea and queued up for a big black cab. The taxi driver was so incredibly nice and loaded every piece into the cab for me, teasing me the entire time and wanting to know why I had left my kitchen sink at home.

It took half an hour to get to my hall and, before tip, my cab fare was a whopping 55 pounds (about $110). The cab driver had to park a bit away from the entrance to my building so he carried all of my luggage into the lobby for me too before he left.

Remember how I was excited that I didn't have to wait as long for my layover in Chicago? Well I ended up paying for it. My room wasn't finished so I had to wait in the hall lobby for over an hour to move in. It was a good opportunity to people watch. Of everyone I saw, only one other was an American. I couldn't identify half of the languages I heard everyone else speaking. It was kind of surreal.

I finally moved into my room at about 1:00 PM London time and spent most of my day unpacking. At about 6:00 I got ravenous and decided to go hunting for take away before it got dark (our hall cafeteria won't be opening until the 20th). I quickly discovered the only draw back to where I live - it's so residential and uppity that there isn't a whole lot of quick food. I walked around for half an hour and kept seeing all these really nice hotels and restaurants but couldn't find anything quick I could take home. Eventually I had a brain wave and went over to Paddington Station, figuring that with the amount of tourists through there there would have to be food. I found all sorts of stuff- Indian, little sandwich shops, Middle Eastern, even a McDonald's and a Burger King. I grabbed myself a shawarma meal, I can't tell you how excited I am that I can get one of those so close by. Worth note- Coca Cola tastes different over here, and I had forgotten that their ketchup was different, it's almost pink.

Anyway, that's been my first day here. I'm planning on doing a little exploring tomorrow and I'll take some pictures if I'm not scared of looking like a silly tourist!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey lady. Coca Cola tastes different in places because they have different sugar suppliers, in case you were wondering.
glad the trip went well. higher learning rules, state governement drools.
Be good, Charlie S.